In 1996 Reverend Richard Reed began hosting all fellowship recovery meetings under the umbrella of First AME Church, one of the largest African American churches in Los Angeles, through it's CDC, FAME Inc. After seeing the continued impact of drug and alcohol abuse on the abuser, as well as their families, Rev. Reed knew that he had to do more. With the help of his mentor Rev. Cecil “Chip” Murray and his family, Rev. Reed took First To Serve to the next level by opening up a 15 bed state certified substance abuse support facility in South Los Angeles in 2002 .
Today, First To Serve, Inc. provides state certified, licensed substance abuse, and supportive housing facilities located throughout the city of Los Angeles. First To Serve also provides domestic violence housing for single women, and women with children, and participates annually in the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority (LAHSA) supported Winter Shelter Program.
First To Serve's primary goals are to......
- Provide transitional housing, medical, and supportive services to homeless men and women in South Los Angeles.
- Promote family reunification, and to support family's efforts to remain intact in the community.
- Strengthen homeless individuals, and their families, through the provision of comprehensive medical, mental health and preventative social services.
- Improve the general health and well-being of individuals, and their families, through comprehensive health programs and preventative social services.
- Promote self-sufficiency and economic independence.
There aren't many in our communities that aren't somehow affected by the burdens of substance abuse, mental illness, homelessness, domestic violence, lack of education, and unemployment.
First To Serve, Inc. is known throughout the community for collaborating with local providers in an effort to provide expert integrated services to address the various conditions our clients face as they work to become whole again.
First To Serve, Inc. along with its partner agencies provides outreach, case management, clinical services, medical services, alcohol and drug abuse treatment, mental health treatment, education and other supportive services at a level unparalleled in our community.